Today’s retail sales tips are taken from a Business Training Works article.
- Smile when greeting a customer in person and on the phone (and yes, they can tell if you are smiling over the telephone!).
- Use age-appropriate greetings, and avoid referring to older customers and women as “guys.”
- Be proactive and ask how you may be of service.
- Stay visible and available, but don’t hover.
- Don’t turn away, walk away, start to make a phone call, or duck beneath the counter as a customer approaches. (We’ve all had it happen to us.)
- The live customer standing in front of you takes precedence over someone who calls on the phone.
- Never judge a book by its cover—all customers deserve attention regardless of their age or appearance.
- Leave food and beverages in the break room.
- A customer doesn’t want to hear about your upcoming break.
- Makes any personal calls when you’re on a break and out of earshot.
- The correct answer is never “I don’t know” unless you add to it, “but I can find out for you.”
- If a customer wants something that isn’t on display, go to the stock room and try to find it.
- If the item isn’t in the stock room, offer to call another store or order it.
- Learn to read body language to see if a customer could use some help.
- Don’t let chatty customers monopolize your time if others are waiting.
- Call for backup support if lines are forming.
- Be discrete if a customer’s credit card is declined by asking if there is another method of payment he or she would like to use.
- Never discuss customers in front of other customers (they’ll wonder what you’re saying about them once they leave).
- Inspect merchandise before bagging it to make sure it’s not defective or the wrong size.
- Make sure customers receive everything they’ve paid for before they leave your store.
- Smile as you are saying goodbye and encourage the customer to come again.
And here’s one more tip: if you can, give people more than what they expect.
With the Iconic Mobile Retail System you can always give your customers more than what they expect with a personalized shopping experience and efficient checkout. Contact us today to learn more.